Candidate Profiles: Dan Carey and Donald Peltier

Credits: gazettenet.com and peltier2018.com

Kristin Hartley, Journalist

A Massachusetts State Representative represents about 40,000 constituents in the Massachusetts House of Representatives. Per the Massachusetts Constitution, the House cannot adjourn for more than 2 days, and meets year-round in formal or informal session to consider legislation. They introduce and vote on bills that represent the interests of their constituents to create new laws or change old laws and serve on committees within the legislative branch. These can relate to state or local issues. They also vote on any amendments to the state constitution. State representatives may often assist with personal legal issues.

Dan Carey (D)

Dan Carey is the Democratic candidate for State Representative. He is an assistant district attorney in the office of Northwestern District Attorney David E. Sullivan, and a city councillor in Easthampton on the Finance and Public Safety Committees. He was formerly the Drug Diversion & Treatment Program Director in the Northwestern District Attorney’s Office and a member of the Easthampton School Committee on the Finance Committee. Carey is a graduate of Easthampton High School, Emmanuel College, and Western New England University School of Law.

LGBT+ Issues

Carey supports LGBT+ rights, saying in an email that “LGBT+ rights are human rights and need to be protected.” He said that he will be voting yes on question 3, and recently co-sponsored a resolution in support of yes on question 3 that was unanimously passed by the Easthampton City Council on October 3rd, 2018. Carey did not specifically respond to a question about gender-neutral state ID markers.

Healthcare

Carey supports access to “affordable excellent health care” for everyone. In an email he stated, “As the former Director of the District Attorney’s Drug Diversion & Treatment Program, I want to work to stem the tide of the ravaging opioid epidemic while also fighting to keep prescription costs affordable.” According to the Daily Hampshire Gazette article “A race for Scibek’s seat,” he has endorsed single payer health insurance. He did not respond to a question about his stance on question 1 (concerning nurse-to-patient limits.)

Education

Carey stands for school funding, safety and tolerance in schools, and student loan debt relief according to his campaign website. According to the same Daily Hampshire Gazette article he has stood for a comprehensive reform of the state’s foundation budget for public education and stated that fixing the funding formula, which he has described as “outdated,” would be his top priority.

Immigration

Carey stated that he believes in “protect[ing] the rights and safety of all our neighbors” and supports the Safe Communities Act. This act would prevent state officers or employees from using state resources to assist in federal immigration enforcement (except in cases where the United States Department of Homeland Security pays a daily fee for persons in ICE custody to be housed in state correction centers), state law enforcement agencies from inquiring about a person’s immigration status unless the information is required by law or is an element in a crime for which the person is being investigated for, state law enforcement agencies and the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles from making information available for enforcement of any federal program requiring registration of persons on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, or national or ethnic origin, law enforcement agencies from arresting or detaining a person solely for immigration enforcement, any officer or employee of the commonwealth from performing the functions of an immigration officer, law enforcement agencies from giving Department of Homeland Security agents access to information about the incarceration status or release date of persons in their custody or access to booking lists unless the person is serving a sentence for a serious violent felony, among other things related to immigration enforcement and the establishment of a “sanctuary state.”

Gun Control

Carey stands for “smart, safe, and responsible gun control laws,” as stated in an email. He has organized Gun Buy Back events to get guns off the streets and received as Gun Sense Candidate Distinction from Moms Demand Action.

Abortion

Carey supports “a woman’s right to choose” in matters of abortion and has been endorsed by the Planned Parenthood Advocacy Fund of Massachusetts.

Donald Peltier (R)

LGBT+ Issues

Peltier has not publicly spoken about LGBT+ issues.

Healthcare

Peltier has not shared a personal plan for healthcare. However, when discussing liberal senator Elizabeth Warren’s healthcare perspectives on his campaign website, he said that her philosophy was “control healthcare and you control the people,” implying that his position is contradictory to hers. Warren supports a single-payer healthcare system. Peltier does not support doctor-assisted suicide.

Education

On his campaign website, Peltier stated that he supports Christianity and prayer in public schools. Peltier is also a strong supporter of school choice. On his website, he mentions vouchers for private schools, charter schools, and even homeschooling.

Immigration

“Donald Peltier supports President Trump and his plan for Immigration Reform,” Peltier’s campaign website states. Peltier supports building the wall, and believes that any immigration into our country should benefit U.S. citizens. His campaign website also states “A nation without laws is not a nation. Laws passed in accordance with our Constitutional system of government must be enforced.” Sanctuary cities limit the enforcement of immigration law by refusing to help federal officials enforce the law; however, they do not actively stop federal officials.

Gun Control

Peltier has been carrying a gun since he was 24, and is a strong supporter of Second Amendment rights, calling himself “a candidate who will stand up to the constant infringements on our Constitutional rights.” He calls Second Amendment rights “one of our most treasured liberties” on his campaign website. However, Peltier also recognizes that the Second Amendment does not prohibit all regulation of firearms and ownership of them.

Abortion

On his campaign website, Peltier states: “We need to show respect for the worth and dignity of every individual human being, born or unborn, including unborn children from their beginning.” Peltier also does not support using embryonic cells for scientific research.

Other

Peltier has run websites using the names of the Democratic and Republican National Committees, as well as Hillary Clinton and Richard Neal’s campaigns, without being associated with any of these groups. Although the Federal Election Commission cannot confirm whether there are open cases against Peltier, impersonating political parties or candidates in order to solicit donations (which these websites do) is a violation of federal law. In 2012, Peltier was fired from his job as an oil truck driver after ABC News investigated these websites.