Candidate Profiles: Elizabeth Warren and Geoff Diehl

Credit: Daily Mail

Credit: Daily Mail

Credit: Daily Mail

Alice Wanamaker, Editor-in-Chief

Elizabeth Warren (D)

Warren attended the University of Houston and Rutgers Law School. She worked as a law professor for over 30 years, including over 20 at Harvard Law School. In 2012, she was elected to the U.S. Senate, and has held her position since then. She lives in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

On The Issues:

LGBT+ Issues

Warren is extremely comfortable with and supportive of marriage equality and equal rights for transgender people. She supports measures banning discrimination of these groups, and opposes defining marriage as exclusively between a man and a woman.

Healthcare

Warren supports the Affordable Care Act and does not want it repealed. She opposes privatization of the healthcare system, and believes that universal single-payer healthcare is a logical solution to the healthcare problems in our country.

Education

Warren supports increasing funding to public schools, rather than private ones. Furthermore, she wants to reduce the cost of a college education and help students to pay off their loan debt. Warren also supports having comprehensive sex education in public schools.

Immigration

Warren strongly opposes President Trump’s measures to decrease illegal immigration into the U.S.. She supports the DREAM Act and wants to replace ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) with what she called “something that reflects our morality and that works” in June. At the same event, she said that “This is ugly, this is wrong, and this is not the way to run our country.”

Gun Control

Warren supports a federal assault weapon ban and overall stricter gun control measures. She believes that the Second Amendment allows the government to restrict gun ownership to a certain degree.

Abortion

Warren is strongly pro-choice and supports easy access to abortion. She also supports public funding for abortion services.

Geoff Diehl (R)

Diehl attended Lehigh University. He worked in the private sector after college, and was elected as a State Representative in 2011. Diehl signed a pledge to serve only four terms in that position, and has done so. He lives in Whitman, Massachusetts.

On The Issues:

LGBT+ Issues

Diehl opposed the 2016 transgender anti-discrimination legislation passed by Governor Baker and the Massachusetts legislature. He has not publicly spoken about marriage equality.

Healthcare

According to his campaign website, Diehl supports repealing the Affordable Care Act. He opposes single-payer healthcare.

Education

According to OnTheIssues.org, Diehl supports the increased “flexibility” given to students by charter schools.

Immigration

Diehl supports President Trump’s moves to stop illegal immigration, and supports building the wall. He does not support sanctuary cities.

Gun Control

Diehl has been endorsed by the NRA. He supports a broad understanding of the Second Amendment and does not want to limit gun ownership.

Abortion

Although Diehl has not made abortion a central part of his campaign, he has been endorsed by Massachusetts Citizens for Life, a pro-life organization. Furthermore, he supported a law which would allow taxpayers to stop their taxes from funding abortion.

Sources:

Stracqualursi, Veronica. “Sen. Warren: Replace ICE with ‘Something That Reflects Our Morality’.” CNN, Cable News Network, 30 June 2018, www.cnn.com/2018/06/30/politics/elizabeth-warren-ice-immigration-protests/index.html.

OnTheIssues.org. “Elizabeth Warren on the Issues.” On the Issues, SpeakOut Foundation, www.ontheissues.org/Senate/Elizabeth_Warren.htm.

“About Elizabeth.” U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, www.warren.senate.gov/about/about-elizabeth.

OnTheIssues.org. “Geoff Diehl on the Issues.” On The Issues, SpeakOut Foundation, www.ontheissues.org/Senate/Geoff_Diehl.htm.

“Thanks For Supporting Geoff Diehl!” Geoff Diehl For U.S. Senate, diehlforsenate.com/.