Superintendent Search Committee meets for the first time

Alice Wanamaker, Journalist

On October 24th, 2017, EPSD Superintendent Nancy Follansbee announced that she would be retiring after 26 years in the district. Her current contract originally expired at the end of the 2015-2016 school year, but was extended twice. She will leave the position in June of 2018.

A series of public forums were held for staff, families, and high school students within the district to give feedback on their hopes for the new superintendent. Additionally, a survey was posted on the EPSD website. The information from these sources was used to form a list of base criteria that will be used to identify suitable applicants for the position. Applicants for the job will first be screened by the Massachusetts Association of School Committees. The semifinalists-those who are approved by the MASC-will then be interviewed by the Superintendent Search Committee.

This committee is formed of parents, students, teachers, community members, and staff within the Easthampton public school district. Its role is to create questions that it will used to interview semifinalists, and pick three to five finalists to send to the School Committee based on these interviews. Mr. Zuchowski, a Spanish teacher here at EHS, was elected chair of the committee; I am the student representative.

Our next meeting is on Wednesday, January 17th, at 6:30 p.m.. All interviews, resumes and records we will be reviewing will be confidential, but our meetings are open to the public.